What Makes Lookout Mountain a Great Place to Live?
Video tour of Lookout at the bottom of the page
Click for a down-loadble LM map & LM Directory!
1. Natural Beauty. Let’s face it…people love to live on Lookout Mountain and love to visit Lookout Mountain because it is such a beautiful place. It is a defining landmark towering over the city of Chattanooga. It is green and lush. After visiting the rain forests of Costa Rica, I realized that Lookout Mountain is really not much different than the rain forests. Everyone has large and private yards with lots of trees. There are no bald lots like the new construction areas around the city. You have brow views, parks, walking trails along the brows, waterfalls, and creeks. 3 tourist attractions, national park land, and a large land trust which boasts of Lookout Mountain’s rich natural beauty.
2. Safety of the neighborhood. The crime statistics on Lookout Mountain are extremely low. It is one of the few places where there’s a true sense of overall safety for the families that live there. The Mountain-wide speed limit is 25 miles per hour, which helps keep our kids safe. City-Data.com reports that Lookout Mountain, TN has a crime index of 36.8 where the national average is 319.2. NeighborhoodScout.com reports 1 violent cime and 11 property crimes on Lookout Mountain, GA. The chance of becoming a victim of a violent crime on Lookout Mtn, GA are 1 in 1,617 (NeighborhoodScout.com). The chance of being a victim of property crime on Lookout Mtn, GA are 1 in 147 (NeighborhoodScout.com). Lookout Mountain is almost a Mayberry type of community in terms of crime. It is a great place to live and feel secure. It’s a great place to raise a family, or simply retire in safety & bliss.
3. One of the top 3 elementary schools in the state of TN. Lookout Mountain Elementary School (LMS) is one of the best elementary schools in the state. According to the Hamilton County Department of Education, LMS got straight As in academic achievement for the 4th year in a row. It is the best public elementary school in the Chattanooga area. It is also funded largely by the community, so it is like a little private school on Lookout Mountain.
Fairyland Elementary School on the GA side of Lookout Mountain is also one of the top elementary schools in GA.
4. Proximity to downtown Chattanooga. It only takes 15 minutes to get to downtown Chattanooga from Lookout Mountain. There is never any rush hour traffic to deal with as you drive from downtown Chattanooga to Lookout Mountain. Even if you work in the Ooltewah or Hixson area, you are going the opposite direction of traffic when you head home. Signal Mountain has a fair amount of traffic during peak traffic hours, and Ooltewah is flooded with traffic. Ooltewah’s traffic is so bad that you have to use back roads to go to Ooltewah from downtown Chattanoga during heavy traffic hours. Lookout Mountain is a 15 minute drive from downtown to a wooded retreat from the city and a community feel to life.
5. Family friendly. Lookout Mountain is a wonderful place to raise a family. There are tons of families with kids who live on the mountain. Kids can ride their bikes around town without worrying about safety with the 25 mile per hour mountain wide speed limit. There are also great after school activities available on the mountain. During the fall
there is a soccer league, a football league, & cross country for elementary aged kids.
In the winter there is a basket ball league & track. Kids can take karate & tennis all year long. The spring & early summer is baseball season on Lookout Mountain. There is a parade at the beginning of the season and all. It is fun to see most of the community out at the playing fields for these different sports. Even during the summer there is an inexpensive day camp at the Lookout Mountain town commons from 9 am to 3 pm. Many people have moved to Lookout Mountain from different parts off the country and have fit right in to this welcoming community.
Search Lookout Mountain MLS at http://www.SearchChattanoogaArea.com
Chattanooga Homes for Sale – http://www.SearchChattanoogaArea.com